GST, PST, HST
We help businesses manage their indirect sales tax costs to a minimum by providing planning opportunities & advisory services.
Businesses operating in Canada are impacted by GST, PST or HST in some way or another. Unless managed properly, it can have a greater impact on the bottom line than income taxes. Different rules and sales tax rates can apply depending on the province in which one operates business. The legislations dealing with these taxes are constantly changing as governments look to commodity taxes as a favored means of taxation. Businesses must keep on top of changes to avoid costly government assessments, and ensure they are taking advantage of the maximum refund opportunities.
We can help businesses operating in Canada in the following areas:
- Compliance obligations ― ensuring accurate and timely remittance of sales tax returns, assisting in preparing voluntary disclosures, reviewing processes for claiming input tax credits and input tax refunds.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical interpretations or ruling requests to the taxation authorities on sales tax matters.
- Reviewing sales tax procedures to identify recovery opportunities.
- Conflict resolution ― providing guidance and support in government sales tax audits, including negotiations with government authorities and preparation of notices of objections.
- Reorganizations ― ensuring sales tax matters have been addressed on business reorganizations and all available elections have been made in order to reduce or eliminate sales tax costs.
- Due diligence reviews for sales tax issues.
- Staff training on sales tax rules and procedures to businesses operating in Canada.